Position Filled – No longer accepting applications
Title: Student Advocate
Hours: 3-5 hours/week
Wage: $20.00 / hour
The Office of Student Life supports and advocates for students, faculty, and staff to utilize the policies and procedures outlined in the student handbook, ensuring an enjoyable and equitable experience at Life West. The Student Advocate provides assistance to students in understanding the College’s complaint and incident reporting procedures, College policy, and accessing both College and community resources to address and resolve a variety of behavioral issues.
The Student Advocate staffs the Student Advocate Office during set office hours each day, providing support and advocacy to those in need. Additional responsibilities include monitoring the College website for any inconsistencies or changes in College policy, ensuring consistent messaging between the College website and the student FAQ’s on Canvas, and monitoring the accuracy and availability of paper copies of incident forms, policies and procedures. The Student Advocate will also ensure that incident forms are routed properly.
• Minimum GPA 2.5
• 2th Quarter or higher
• Minimum 3 quarter commitment
• Non-judgmental, friendly demeanor
• Preferred experience with conflict resolution, restorative justice, non-violent communication, and/or peer mediation
• Ability to keep confidentiality and hold professional boundaries
• Administrative skills including making copies, filing, updating records
• Reliable and organized
• Once hired, the Student Advocate will receive training in the various types of complaints common on campus, college policies & procedures, active listening, coaching, non-violent communication, professional boundaries and confidentiality, and record keeping for tracking student contacts.
• The Student Advocate will have access to a private office for regular office hours to be available for confidential conversations with students.
• The Student Advocate will meet regularly with the supervisor for updates, training, and support.
Supervisor: Dani Lorta, Student Life Manager